Sunday 10 July 2011

Kathryn Magendie's Sweetie is a MUST read!

SweetieSweetie by Kathryn Magendie

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I have never laughed and cried so much over a book in my life. This book is remarkable! The characters are so perfectly flawed and well-rounded that I fell in love with them all in a matter of pages. Of course, Sweetie and Melissa, being the two main characters knocked my socks off, but I also adored Melissa's parents. It takes skill to make a reader 'not like' a character in the beginning of a book, and then make them sympathize with them the more and more one finds out about them. I experienced this with Melissa's mother. I felt such a roller coaster of emotions while reading this that when it ended I burst into a huge fit of tears. Why? Why oh why did it have to end???

Chapter TEN, is extra special. I will remember that chapter forever. You'll just have to pick this up and read it to find out why :o)



View all my reviews


8 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to get this because of this review, Jess! Thank you for recommending a good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropped by to say "HEY!" Still tied up with temp job and have been MIA, regular is coming. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'll add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another book to put on my ever growing list. Loved the review.


    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I love books that affect us this way. Nothing like grieving when something wonderful is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds so good! Thanks for the review. However, I'm currently reading your book so it will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, now I have to find this book. Thanks, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jess .. Kathryn seems to have hit the 'sweet' spot - what a superb review ..

    Good luck all round .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris