Wednesday 3 December 2014

The Artist Unleashed: FINDING A COMMUNITY, by Kate Tilton

With reminders of the holiday season all around I have been thinking a lot about community, a place where you belong. Growing up I spent years in private school and homeschooling leading to an interesting transition back into the public school system when I was in the 6th grade. I spent most of my first school year back in public school trying to fit in.

It didn’t work.

I quickly learned that I wasn’t a part of the community of my peers. They had grown up together and had been in the same classes for years. I just simply wasn’t able to compete with that. So I found my own community online.

My first experience with community was ...

Sorry for the interruption, but The Artist Unleashed posts have moved to a new domain. Please click HERE to read the rest of this post and for the opportunity to comment.

4 comments:

  1. I understand the community part! I've worked hard to build that here in the blogging world. I keep looking for more science fiction places. Wish there were more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Having a community is so important for us all.
      As for science fiction places I'd start out with some of the social media sites (Google+, Twitter) and have you considered looking at science fiction conventions? There are lots of different types. :)

      Delete
  2. I can totally agree that being a part of the community that's a right fit for you isn't an overnight job. It takes time and effort to have some of that same time and effort returned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Community building takes time but it is time well spent.

      Delete