Sunday 21 November 2010

Guardian Spirit, by Sarah Martin Byrd

Guardian SpiritGuardian Spirit by Sarah Martin Byrd

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a book I wouldn't normally pick up, but I'm glad I did. And the reason being is totally unrelated to the main plot of a mother, Millie, getting herself and her children away from an abusive husband/father. It is because it is abundant in magical descriptions about the Blue Ridge Mountains, and I sometimes felt like I was right there. Sarah weaves her words together with such simple beauty it seemed it was written with effortlessness. I was transported from one moment to the next as if I was floating on a leaf down a gentle stream.

I especially loved the moments with Sadie, Millie's daughter. I warmed to Sadie almost instantly and looked forward to experiencing more moments with her. Such a fragile, yet determined and confident little soul. I just wanted to take her in my arms and give her great big hug!

This is definitely worth a read especially if you're the type of person who likes to curl up in front of the fire on a rainy day.

View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to checking this one out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Jess - I must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds good. I love the Blue Ridge Mountains. I haven't been there for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love curling up someplace warm when it's raining outside--and the Blue Ridge Mountains are a beautiful place! Great review, and thanks for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love to curl up in front a fire. This book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of read. I'll put it on my TBR list. Thanks for the tip.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review :) Fireside reading is my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good, as does the curling up in front of the fire on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review - thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris