Wednesday 30 November 2011

Tada! My exciting announcement is finally here ...

Remember how on Monday I said I had a surprise? You have no idea how much I've been itching to officially announce this. A few very special people already know about it, and have been slowly seeping the word out. But I wanted to wait for a day where my "business partner" and I could both give it a shout out at the same time.

That "business partner" is Dawn Ius. Long time blog friend, and most importantly, a very very talented author.

And today we would like to announce the VINE LEAVES LITERARY JOURNAL!!!

We're very very excited about this because we're doing something a bit different. Here's the Mission Statement from our Home Page:

"The world of literature nowadays is so diverse, open-minded and thriving in experimental works, that there doesn’t seem to be any single form of written art missing from it ... you would think. But there is.
The vignette.

It’s rare for a literary magazine to accept the "vignette" as a publishable piece of literature. Why? Because it is not a “proper story.” We beg to differ.

So, what is a vignette?

"Vignette" is a word that originally meant "something that may be written on a vine-leaf." It’s a snapshot in words. It differs from flash fiction or a short story in that its aim doesn’t lie within the traditional realms of structure or plot. Instead, the vignette focuses on one element, mood, character, setting or object. It's descriptive, excellent for character or theme exploration and wordplay. Through a vignette, you create an atmosphere.

Vine Leaves, will entwine you in atmosphere; wrap you in a world where literature ferments and then matures … "


Today, we have also posted our very first BLOG POST, called, WORD VOMIT? OR A NICE MATURE WINE? Which gives a little more insight into our intentions for this journal. Please do drop by and have a read! We don't have Google Connect, but there is an RSS Feed, so please to add it to your Google Reader, or whatever else you use to follow blogs.

Our first issue comes out January 2012, and we're already flooded with submissions. Especially after registering it on Duotrope.com. The results so far are just AMAZING. We're doing this out of pure love of the written word and have invested our own money and time to get this up and running. Eventually, we also hope to be able to pay contributors. Oh! And we also accept artwork and photography!

If you'd like to submit and be a part of our inaugural issue, please read the SUBMISSION GUIDELINES and get submitting!

Also, please do connect with us on TWITTER and FACEBOOK!

So what are you waiting for? Go check it out!!! :o)

PS: One of my poems goes live on CORDITE REVIEW today. So proud of myself. They're really hard to get into. So excited!

45 comments:

  1. Woo! Congrats to you both, this sounds very interesting and I will drop by when I have a little more time. Good luck to the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the busiest writers/bloggers in the world these days. Just as you finish your tour, you launch a magazine.

    Can't wait to see the first issue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool venture! Off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! That's so awesome. Good luck with your new venture. Awesome you got so many submissions already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new endeavor! You sound completely energized, and with good reason!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Wow, that's a unique venture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and Best of Luck !!!
    Running a magazine is interesting work - full of both rewards and cocktail stories ;-) Have fun!
    I'm headed to your site now to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You people are so cool. I bet it doesn't take long for you to start making money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited about this, Jessica! Will pop over and subscribe right now. So very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks good,it sounds good and I am sure it will be a success given the quality of its foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool, Jessica! I'm not a literary writer and I rarely read vignettes, but I'm well aware how beautiful the words are going to be. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to you Jessica and to your partner Dawn.(Jessica Dawn sounds like a character..hmmm)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea! Congratulations and best wishes to you and Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica, you are ON FIRE! Go girl, go! I'm so impressed by your energy and ambition, and... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the new literary journal project. I think it's an awesome idea, and I learned more about vignettes (may have even written a few without realizing it). :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck to you both on this exciting new venture! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Jessica--I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What a neat angle for a lit mag! I personally love vignettes, so I'll definitely check it out in January. ^_^ Hope all the pre-release activities go swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! Sounds like a fun, new adventure. =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! Sounds like an awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're hot, Jessica! I wish you much success and if you need anyone to pass the word, let me know. I can't wait to read the first issue.

    Congrads!!!!!!!!!!!! *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  22. A big endeavor! I'm off to check out the site now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi miss jessica! yikes! how could you keep that a secret from your most biggest fan. ME! wow you love words soooo much and your doing sooo much for writing. now i just learned a new word and a new kind of writing. im gonna learn more and try it. for me it sounds a real lot like haiku stuff. hooray for you and miss dawn!!!
    ...big hugs from lenny

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woo Hoo! Awesome! When i glanced at FB yesterday, i saw the posts, but i didn't realize it was your journal

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, Jessica! Creating a literary journal is a fantastic thing to offer the writing community. I love your fresh take on it, too! It's about time the vignette gets proper acclaim. :) Heading on over to check out the website now. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's so exciting. Can't wait to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations! This sounds so exciting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jess .. congratulations on both - the Cordite entry and the new project - Vignettes (with Dawn) sounds just up my street - so I'll have to come back ..

    Popping over for an initial visit ..

    Good luck to you both it all sounds so exciting .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anything written on a fig leaf would definitely be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations and good luck in your new venture, Good news about the poem. No wonder you're excited, I am also as my new book should be out by the 12th Dec.
    It's been hard work but worth it.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jessica! This is so exciting. Well the vignette isn't completely forgotten. My Year 11s had to write a vignette after studying The Book Thief. Some were amazing. One of my girls got an A+ so was thoroughly chuffed.

    I'll have to take a look and I'll definitely get my students to check them out when the first issue is released.

    Congrats on being live on Cordite Review. Awesome.

    Hope String Bring is doing well...

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations!

    It sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW!!!!! I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME away from blogger! THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!

    I am so happy for you guys!!! Can't wait to watch this grow!

    YA Tournament of Heroines: Hermione is my Heroine... Care to join?

    ReplyDelete
  34. So cool!! I am off to check out about submitting...I think I have a few vine photos you might be interested in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cool! Good luck on your new writing adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You and Dawn rock! I'm so inspired by your commitment to writing and promoting excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hooray for Vine Leaves Literary Journal! Going to tweet this now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jess, you're amazing! Love the name, Vine Leaves resonates! Will check out your link.

    (Oh, called a local Orthodox church about leads but my timing was off, will try again after Thanksgiving settles down.)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations!!! I wish you and Dawn all the very best with this amazing project. I love vignettes and have written a few myself over the years, but never did anything with them. I love that they leave you with an idea, a hint of something more, a chance glimpse into another world.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations!! What a year it's been for you! Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You, of course know, I'm way excited about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is wonderful news! I checked out your website...I'm contemplating, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations! Will check out the link! :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris