Monday 14 May 2012

Another baby of mine is born into the crazy jungle ...

FabricToday I'm celebrating the release of my new poetry collection, Fabric ... Wait! Please don't close the tab at the the mention of poetry! 

My poetry will not baffle you with phrasing that scholars award for academic genius and that can only be understood by those who wrote it. My poetry is for the everyday reader. In fact, it is even for those who don’t like to read poetry at all. Because it is real, stark and simple.

The poems in Fabric are no different. They explore specific moments in different people’s lives that are significant to whom they have become, the choices they’ve made. It’s about how they perceive the world around them, and how each and every one of their thoughts and actions contributes to the fabric of society. Perhaps you will even learn something new about yourself.

So, even if you do not usually read poetry, I urge you to give this one a go. Not because I want sales (though, they are fun!), but because I want more people to understand that not all poetry is scary and complex. Not all poetry is going to take you back to high school English, and not all poetry is going make you feel “stupid”.

You can still say to people that you don’t read poetry … I really don’t mind. Because if you read Fabric, you’re not reading poetry, you’re reading about people. And that’s what reading is about, yes? Living the lives of others?

Are you still here? I hope so!

Please support the life of poetry today by spreading the news about Fabric. Hey, perhaps you might even like to purchase a copy for yourself? The e-book is only $1.99 and the paperback $5.50.

Check out the trailer:



Here are the purchase links:

Let's keep poetry alive! Because not all poetry is "dead" boring ... Please help spread the word :o)

Special thanks to Maggie for interviewing me today. You can read the interview HERE. And to Leigh T. Moore, Janice Phelps Williams, Angela Felsted and Dawn Ius, for featuring me on their blogs to help promote! Thank you!

47 comments:

  1. Ha! Funny way to introduce your book. I just finished taking a poetry course because I felt intimidated deciphering good from bad poetry. Also, I started writing some of my own, so I figured I should have some idea of what I was doing!

    I look forward to reading your book and hosting you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT!!! Congrats on another book birthday, Jess! I'm looking forward to having you on tomorrow (especially since you did all the work). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love poetry,I can't wait to check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think poetry is a 'hit the spot' type of expression. Few words strung together poetically that encompass the a perfect image, moment in time, reflection or universal life lesson that that touches us all. I love it when people quote famous poetry. Alas, I am pretty inept when it comes to writing it but always enjoyed the interpretation part when in high school and college. Congrats Jess! You've got some great reviews so far and I LOVE your cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely way to explain it, Katie. I really appreciate this take of yours. Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  5. Poetry is my first love, but as the BBC paid me £2 per poem, I write children's books, but I would love to have the time to continue with my poetry too. Wishing you great success with your book, Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! So happy for you, Jess! You are on a major role. I love it! Congrats, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That is one gorgeous cover, and I love the trailer you filmed for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I got my copy--yes, that means I have TWO! :D LURV it. :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll do a shout-out for you this week, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo! Congrats on the release! I hope it does really well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tweeted. The way you've written this is cool, because my first impulse is to say that I don't read poetry, well not since school anyway.

    People like me will be willing to take a look if it's simple stuff we can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAha, yeah I feel that way about poetry and I DO read it :)

      Delete
  13. Hey you, as a lover of poetry (and an owner of your other book) this is on my list (still love that cover)!!! Hope your release day is marvelous, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love poetry! Good luck on ur release, Jessica. Cool name btw. My heroine shares it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! Massive congrats, Jess! You know how much I enjoyed your poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Talli, your support has been AMAZING :)

      Delete
  17. Jessica, congrats on the publishing! Poetry is one step away from song-writing, so I'm sure it's great.
    - Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
    @thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, Congrats and good luck today Jessica!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! Will be thinking of you this month with your baby on the way! xx

      Delete
  19. Great news. The world can never have enough poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. grats, jess!

    i'm back - new look, same old crap...

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is truly a beautiful book! Thank you so much for sharing it with the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! And thank YOU for your beautiful blurb!

      Delete
  22. Congrats, Jessica. This sounds like my kind of poetry. The kind I can actually understand. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Jessica! I love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Despite not being big into poetry's I am so excited about this. I loved Twisted Velvet Chains, can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy day-after-release day! And congrats on getting RAOK blitzed yesterday too! I hope it was a wonderful day all around. :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris