Wednesday 23 July 2014

The Artist Unleashed: COMMERCE & CREATIVITY—HOW TO KEEP THE BALANCE by Pauline B Jones

When I finally ventured out and made first contact with my writing peers, I received a lot of good solid, advice about the craft and business of writing. The craft parts were easier to swallow, particularly back in the bad old days when writers had so few choices. Why spend too much time dwelling on a business model that made no sense? Like the newbies that came before me, I had a hard time believing them, so I focused on the stuff I wanted to believe.

I dreamed about that day when I’d get The Call (instead, it was The Email). I imagined how it would feel to cross the threshold from ...

Sorry for the interruption, but The Artist Unleashed posts have moved to a new domain. Please click HERE to read the rest of this post and for the opportunity to comment.


________Announcements from Jessica________







____________

Sign up to my newsletter and receive Book #1 of the Writing in a Nutshell Series, Show & Tell in a Nutshell, or Muted: A Short Story in Verse, for FREE.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me stop by, Jessica. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Jessica. Thank you for sharing Pauline with us - I did a retweet of this post (I'm rather new to Twitter, but hey gotta start somewhere) as I think my few followers would enjoy it.

    Pauline - I really enjoyed your humour and your advice. I'm stopping by your blog/website after this comment to see what other offerings you have.

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found the post helpful, Jenny! :-) I find this business - and life -- easier to get through with a little humor. Or a lot. LOL Thanks for sharing it. And welcome to Twitter. :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't have to worry about the publishing side, but some days it's really difficult to make my brain come up with something new. Because yes, the best promotion is to write another book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that helps me when I'm stuck, I do a list of possible solutions to current problem. I start with most obvious and work my way to outrageous. Usually find best option somewhere in the middle of the list. :-)

      Delete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris