Sunday 26 December 2010

There Are No WordsThere Are No Words by Mary Calhoun Brown

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It didn't take long for me to realize that this book was going to be one-of-a-kind. On page fourteen I was already salivating at Mary's stunning prose.

It is a heart-warming YA historical fiction tale told from the perspective of a 12-year-old autistic girl named Jaxon. Though I believe it suits more to the Middle Grade genre, it definitely will not disappoint any young adult reader, nor will it disappoint an adult! Beautifully written - magical. It pushed me directly into her world and I found it very difficult to put it down. It had me turning the pages as if I had to before they melted from my fingers.

And I totally agree with Jaxon when she says: "The problem with most books is that when I read them, all the adventures in the book happen to me right then. But the authors almost always write about everything in the past. Sometimes the authors will go on and on, describing a hill or a sunset, and I can't help thinking it wasn't worth remembering. If they would just tell what's happening when it's happening, then there would be no need to remember."

Well, there is definitely no need to try remembering anything about this book because the story is eternally engraved into my mind. Thank you, Mary, for the wonderful experience!

View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like an excellent book--thank you for the review! I love books that are well-written, so this is going onto my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! YA and MG fiction doesn't feature much on my TBR list, maybe I should look into changing that for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, that's a great book, when the story is etched on your mind long after you close the last page.
    And it's amazing how few books actually achieve that, so I'll look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued. The best books are the ones that you can't let go of even long after you've finished them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! Sounds great--I'll add it to my TBR pile~ :o) Thanks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy - thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are having a great holiday Jessica!

    The book sounds very interesting to me. It will be on my TBR pile right away. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review!! Happy New Year <3

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris