Monday 20 December 2010

Godspeed You! Black Emperor inspired me to write.

Anyone heard of this Canadian band? Well, my 'significant other' brought them to Athens on the weekend to play a two-night show and I went to see them on the second night. Absolutely amazing!


They play instrumental post rock, which isn't something I'd usually pop into the CD player because I usually like to sing along to stuff, but I tell you, seeing them live was an experience I'll never forget. Not only was the show sold out, which added to the whole experience (you know - being squashed, hot and having to jump up and down to get a decent view above everyone's heads), but the music seemed to tell a story - moving sepia images behind the band also played a big part.

The dynamics of the music were up and down and all over the place. One minute, all that could be heard was the tiny pluck pluck squeak of the violinist, and the next a deafening ensemble of two drum kits, two guitars, synthesizer, bass guitar, double bass and electronic voice samples that made the earth move under my feet (OK, now I'm singing Martika).

This all got me thinking about how to include all the amazing senses I experienced. For example, this is how I could describe a mere sixty seconds of my night:

A desperate whine of violin and distorted voice samples hush the chattering crowd like ebbing rain. A deep groan of double bass vibrates through the ground, through my legs, body, arms, tightening my throat - my eyes flit in epileptic awe at images of morphed refinery fire. Hash and beer breath from the aggressive goth stepping on my toes tickles my nose like cat fur. Flashes of youth pulsate from my fingertips as I grasp the sweaty metal railing. A rigorous bass drum enters on the off-beat. Synchronous delayed gritty electric guitars unite with the rhythm, creating an eruption of sundry emotion - hot tears sting my cheeks. It should be me up there. It should be me on that stage.

Here's a video of the night I found on YouTube:



So how about you? Did you do anything on the weekend that inspired you to write or create?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! Your words take me right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Happy Holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think experimental stuff like that's interesting. JRM is extremely intolerant... ;p

    Love your description, but I caught the performance-yearn in your last line. It *is* the most immediate connection, but I have to confess, I've never been comfortable performing live. You should get out there again~

    Merry Christmas! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out that band.
    I saw Tron Legacy. Hey, movies always inspire me to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Canadian and I've never heard of this band! Then again, I'm bit out of the loop when it comes to Canadian stuff. They sound fantastic, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this band; then again, I'm American. :P

    I loved reading the paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some bands are great live, aren't they? Pity tickets are heinously expensive anymore.

    Glad you had a good time and are inspired/energized from it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when music inspires me. Sometimes I can hear a song on the radio and a particular line of lyric makes me yearn to put words on the page. Glad you got some mojo back, honey.

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris