Monday 6 February 2012

A great BIG thank you to the fabulous Chuck Sambuchino of Writer's Digest, for teaming up with me for the Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop this year!


To be completely honest with you, when I came up with the idea for this retreat last year, I thought it was a far stretch for it to actually take place. One, because I don't have an agent to 'prove' my abilities as a writer.

We all know that some people feel having an agent is the be all and end all to becoming published. They also seem to think it a validation that you can write. But those of us who've been around a little longer, pushing their way independently through the thick mud more commonly known as 'trying to get published', know this is not the case. And now, thanks to Chuck Sambuchino, this dream of a retreat on the island of Ithaca, Greece, is no longer a dream, but a reality.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank him publicly for taking the bull by the horns and making this amazing event happen. Chuck, THANK YOU.

I have to say that, ultimately, it does not matter how we get that publishing contract (or decide to self-publish). All that matters is that we do everything we can to reach our dreams.

It isn't important whether we follow the yellow, red or purple brick road to getting our writing into the hands of readers. Because if you are a good writer, it will be evident. Not only will it be evident in readers' reviews, but it will be evident because you will continue to live your dream no matter how many obstacles get in your way. If you love to write so much, that when you don't write, it feels like you're missing a limb, or an organ, or even worse, a loved one, you will reach your dream.

When writing becomes an element of the oxygen you breathe every day, then yes, one day you will become a published author. I can guarantee that.

This is what the Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop means to me. It's an opportunity, not only to hone your craft and be taught by experts in publishing, but also to forget what is expected of you for a little while and to remind yourself why you write.

Ithaca is paradise and has so much history. It is magical and inspiring and when you sit down to write in a place like this, 'the industry' becomes an aspect of publishing that you can think about when the time is absolutely right: later. When you sit down to write in a place like this, the process of writing becomes just as important to you as the result you are seeking when you finish.

So yes, please do come to this retreat to learn, because you will learn A LOT, not just from me, but from one of the most respected and experienced individuals in the publishing industry, Chuck Sambuchino.

But please, I beg of you, don't come only to learn. Come because you want to live and cherish the process of writing. Because you want to explore the places in your heart that don't often see the light of day. Come because you want to write something that will make readers 'feel', and will make you feel too ...


... Come because it's not only the result that matters, it's the time you spend getting there: Homeric Writers' Retreat & Workshop, 2012.


20 comments:

  1. Looks like an inspirational place for a retreat. And having Chuck Sambuchino is HUGE. I wish I could be an attendee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and Chuck the very best as you plan for and bring to life this amazing retreat. I so wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such an awesome retreat. Wish it was closer. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jessica, what an incredible opportunity. And that's awesome that Chuck decided to support it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos for putting together your retreat. Maybe I'll come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds amazing, Jess - and well done getting Chuck on board! I must take a look at my finances again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. umm, no. Getting an agent is a good thing, but it's not the thing you've described as we well know.

    And whoot! omg, I want to attend this so much. Maybe I can hide in Chuck's luggage. Cincinnati is only like an hour from Indy... :D

    YOU rock~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chuck is awesome. If only a had a few thousand to spare for airfare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I didn't live on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So proud of you, Jess. I shall find a way to get there! I must! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sound so amazing! If the next six months weren't already booked I'd be sorely tempted to try to sell it as a family vacation where mom slips out for a bit every day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very excited to be a part of Jessica's brainchild event. This promises to be an amazing experience. If you have any questions about workshops, critiques or travel, please reach out to Jessica and I. We will answer any and all questions. Thanks, all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got lots going for you with this retreat - location, Chuck, writing...what a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome, Jess! This is the best: When writing becomes an element of the oxygen you breathe every day, then yes, one day you will become a published author. I can guarantee that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jess .. would love to join you --- perhaps next year .. sounds excellent and I'm sure it will go from strength to strength ..

    Fantastic achievement .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ithica! Wow. Sounds like a great time and I don't even write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, girl, I would LOVE to be there and Chuck is certainly a HUGE bonus. I wish . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love what you wrote Jessica..."If you love to write so much that when you don't write, it feels like you're missing a limb, or an organ...." So true. I don't know about you, but if I don't write crankiness seeps in.:)

    Congratulations! Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love where your heart is at in this post, Jessica. You're an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your positive energy with the world!

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris