Wednesday 27 October 2010

Publishing novel excerpts in journals: Bright idea or ... not?

Yesterday I posted a question on Facebook which triggered a few very detailed responses and thought I'd share them with you all here today. I definitely think it worth an extended discussion as I'm sure many of you writers out there could benefit from the answers too. So what was my question?

The current novel I'm writing is written from the perspectives of various characters. They each have their own story. I had an idea to extract particular perspectives and adapt them into short stories to submit to literary magazines. Do you think this is a bad idea, or do you think it a good way to draw attention to my novel?

Some responses I got were:

Roslyn Ross Any idea which broadens your scope for opportunity is a good one. More to the point, turning each character into their own short story is a brilliant way to develop your characters. Multi-functional I would have thought. Go for it. ...

Mark Levy I agree with Roslyn, Jessica...if a pub or agent loves your story so much even in fractured form, having gone the route you are thinking seems like a really good idea!

Jessica Hill I agree wtih Roslyn, getting pub credits is so important these days, so get them when and where you can. I certainly don't think it will hurt anything if you do this. The short stories would also probably allow you to work with the characters more, and develop their individual stories. I'd say go for it!

Colleen Walsh Fong
Could it lead to property ownership problems later? Why not write short stories using the proposed characters that would not appear in the novel to peak readers interest? Kindle has announced they'll be looking for 10,000 word pieces. That's one way to prove the characters can sell.
Hart Johnson Jessica-I have a friend who ended up with a book contract that way, though admittedly her genre is erotica, so there is feasibly more tolerance of alternate routes, but as long as you either stick to only a couple shorts to titilate, or else part of the story that ISN'T really in the book, I think you're okay. They just don't want to print a novel that is pretty much already out there--it sounds like you are going from a different enough angle. ... One thing to be careful of though, is the rights of the journals PUBLISHING. I don't think the book publisher would have a problem, but read the fine print on the journal rules and make sure you aren't signing away any printing of it--maybe let them know ahead of time what your plans are if they want it.

Janice Phelps Williams ‎2 cents: I think developing the characters and having short stories published in journals and magazines would not be considered detrimental by the publisher, but a sign of your pro-active approach to work, your desire to constantly improve your craft, and the proof that others in the field and readers want to read what you write.

Leigh Talbert Moore no clue here, but it would seem if you develop a following for your writing and your story that way, it could only be viewed as positive, yes?

Rebecca Emin Hi, thanks for the friend add, I was desperate to comment on this! I think the idea of submitting adaptations is perfect - for a start it's not an *exact* copy of what is in the novel so it's effectively not been published already. I would seek out publications that let you retain your rights. The rights issue is the tricky part... Others have already said that publishers will be pleased that you have been gaining interest for your work. Good luck.

So what do you think?

PS: Janice is the publisher considering my novel Dead in the Corner of my Bedroom ... positive thoughts my way please!

29 comments:

  1. I intended commenting yesterday, but apparently didn't so this is as good a time to say what I wanted to say.

    I am sure all your characters have stories and back stories. If I were you, I would play safe, and write some of those stories as short stories- they would titillate but not give away the story itself. I would think that a publisher could be wary about taking on as a book something that is already available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same view as many on this discussion, what could it truly hurt? You're writing more in depth on your characters, bringing them out on their own and in the end could land yourself a book deal if they love them!

    I say GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rayna, focusing on the backstories is a great idea. Also, that way the novel is fresh material. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as it's not something lifted from the novel or something that you'd need to read to then read the novel, I don't see a problem with it. It actually seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I think it is a question of rights. I've sold stories to a magazine and they purchase first rights. After 18 months, everything reverts to me, but prior to that, I cannot publish the story in any form (no audio, electronic, book, etc).

    But provided your stories are different enough from your novel, it should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like a parrot, but...

    As long as it won't cause a rights issue and it doesn't take anything from the story, I say go for it. I'm all about creative marketing approaches. I think it's a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really interesting Jess. I think the overall is that it's a good idea- a way to get your writing, characters, and story out there and perk interest, give writing credentials, etc... I loved reading all the responses. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rayna has a good idea. Publish stories of your character's past or events talked of but not covered in your novel.

    When you sell your book, you are actually selling the first publishing rights to it. If it's been publishd, you can no longer do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica...Hmmm. Not sure if this would be good or not. I think publishing credits are always great to have. Someone mentioned the rights of the journal though. I don't know how journals work, but with freelancing articles I had to give up my rights to what I'd written.
    Good luck! And thanks for stopping by my place today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rights thing isn't really an issue. Literary journals only claim one-time rights, which means, as soon as it's in print, all rights revert back to the author. The issue is, if there is something from my novel, that has been adapted into a short story, published in print elsewhere, would that deter a publisher from wanting to publish the novel? Now I'm not talking 'exact' text from my novel. I'm talking tweaked text to make it work as a short story, and names changed, and not more than 2000 words in length.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good question. I have one narrator from my novel, so there isn't really any way for me to consider doing something like this. I'm just concerned that it would cause certain publishers from shying away from material they know has already been published elsewhere...even if it wasn't a contractual issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The word "extracted" worries me...as someone mentioned, it makes it sound like that part of the story would be needed for the final novel. That part might bother a publisher, even if the rights to that part of the story are available. They might just not want something that has already been viewed by the public.

    Otherwise, character backstories are fair game and could be beneficial for the reasons mentioned, especially if they happen on a different timeline than the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great discussion here! I think developing a character from the novel through short fiction is a fantastic idea. But like some commenters have said, I feel that taking a scene from the book and adapting it in a short story format for publishing is not a good idea.

    If the publisher -- or worse, a reader -- had already read the short and then came to that scene in the novel, it wouldn't feel new and fresh. The familiarity that comes with a second reading would interrupt the "first-read experience" at that point in the novel. Plus, you would have had to change the scene for it to work as a short story, so it could sound odd and recycled to read it in it's "novel-form."

    I would choose a significant moment from the character's past and develop it, instead. That way, the character is more clear in your mind and the integrity of the novel is in no way compromised.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it would garner interest. A friend of mine was discovered through a short story she had written. She even recommended I get some of my writing out there in the same format.

    If nothing else, you get an idea of what the feedback for that particuliar novel might bring in.

    And I'm definitely sending positive thoughts your way - always! (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have thought the exposure beneficial ... Hmm, also, who's to know that the novel wasn't written based on the short stories?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't really have an answer but it couldn't hurt to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a good idea in theory, but I would worry about publishing rights to the works. Make sure you know when/if the rights revert back to you. Otherwise, when you publish the full-length work, you'll have serious issues because parts of it will technically belong to other publishers. :/

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds intriguing to me, kind of like some of the anthologies out there. I don’t know about all the legal stuff but it makes sense to make sure you retain ownership or right reverse or whatever. I like the backstory idea or side story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really think you should ask a publishing professional about this Jess. On the one hand it sounds like a great idea, but I would be really concerned that a publisher might shy away from characters that have already been published for concerns about intellectual property rights.

    Have you considered asking Nathan Bransford directly in his forums? Or one of our published author friends like Elana J, Lisa and Laura or Angela Ackerman? They're all usually very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jessica, I'm inclined to agree with Matt. I think if you at least have advice from a publishing insider (like an agent) you'd feel more comfortable about proceeding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's a good idea, but you don't want to lose rights to your characters in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I say do it. You'll peak interest in your story, earn a following and get your name out there.... you can't go wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. First, I'm sending a ton of positive thoughts about your tiny p.s. at the bottom of the post! Fingers crossed, fingers crossed!

    As for your question, I'm a bit paranoid about this. I've heard different stories about whether or not this would be considered published. I tend to play it safe when it comes to this subject, but maybe that's not the best way to play!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I say DO IT!!!! You've got the goods. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crossing my fingers for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,Jess! Been a long time! I think it's a grand idea! I love the sound of 'spreading' your story out through different characters. You'll feel more in touch with those characters, too.

    :)
    great post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really interesting post (& responses!). I was at an author event recently and one of the writers (Jon Mayhew) said he was bringing out short stories (albeit on his own website) about his characters to stir up interest in his second book- so this sort of thing is a kind of viral marketing. So if you write additional stories they can perhaps be used this way when the book comes out later (by which time rights should have reverted?)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Thanks for all your amazing responses. I have a lot of food for thought here! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the idea of spreading the scope of a story over different publications. To me that'd give the story as a whole a lot more depth as readers find these smaller nuggets of gold to expand on their knowledge of the main novel :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris