Saturday 13 March 2010

Greedy Gobbeldy Guts

Lethargy looms above my head like lead, it is late at night after all. But a sneaky little voice in my head keeps prodding, "Go on, go on! Make some fairy bread!" For those who don't know what "fairy bread" is, it's a simple sweet, yet splendidly spectacular. And as a small child it was one of the most exciting little treats ever - especially at birthdays, in my pretty pink party dress, when I would wade through the crowds of greedy little gobbledy guts', past the party pies and pastries, straight to the white crustless triangles sprinkled with, what I thought were ... poppy seeds grown on rainbows. Red and yellow and pink and green - purple and orange and blue - I can sing a rainbow - sing a rainbow - sing a rainbow too :)

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Fairy bread sounds freakin' fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it? I had forgottem all about hundreds and thousands until I late last night when I got the nibblies and decided to make vegemite toast. I hadn't eaten vegemite in a while and it got me thinking about all the yummy stuff I used to eat as a kid. For instance, when I wanted something sweet (my parents didn't keep many sweets hanging around), I would get the Milo (a chocolate malt kind of drink mix) half fill a mug with it, and mix it with thickened cream and eat it like ice cream. In fact, I would imagine it WAS ice cream to make the experience even more exciting. If we didn't have milo, I'd pull out the frozen peas, pretend they were sweets and eat them like lollies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm... sounds like good memories. :)

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris