Saturday 20 March 2010

A Seeker of Solitude or a Socialite?


I'm sure many wonder why we writers wish to be alone and enjoy being alone. I do not long to organise get togethers like I used to long ago. I do not even miss my gregarious manner or manic mirth to mingle. At parties I feel pity for those who feel they must fraternize with unfamiliar people, or to keep colleagues or companions company whom they do not wish to converse with. I'm not saying I never like to go out at night, or nip over to a mates house for a gossip and a giggle - of course not! But boisterous banter with party people who I don't know from a bar of soap does not appeal to me anymore. I seek solitude. I savor solitude. I cherish solitude.

How about you? Do you seek solitude, or are you a socialite?

6 comments:

  1. I love good company and am very social but I also cherish my time to myself.

    Writing brings me to great heights and replenishes my soul, just as good friends do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my days off when I don't have to go anywhere. There have been weekends when I came home from work on Friday, and didn't step foot outside until Monday when I was on my way back to work. And I liked it that way.

    I like to hang out with a friend now and then, but I don't care for big parties either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IDNOD: You're right about friends replenishing one's soul. That's a really lovely way of putting it.

    Mary: I'm so like you. I could spend a whole week couped up inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solitude for sure. Since I was very young I was more a solitary runner than any sort of team player.

    And now I write.

    I love spending time with my kids and my hubby...but other than that, hm.

    Type, type, type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. worstwriterever, I'm with you! Got to get those words out. Don't you feel lost if you can't find the time to spend writing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm both. Once I'm at a social engagement, I enjoy hanging with friends and people I'm getting to know better, but I'm not an extrovert. I'm just as content at home.

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris