Friday 12 March 2010

Would it really be wonderful making a living doing what we love?

ELT editing ends enthusiasm before it even begins. I look at the loads of languid papers spread across my desk, and desire to delegate specific hours to ELT, and specific hours to my book, but no sooner does my determination to delegate diminish, when I'm commissioned more work, and realise I'm rolling in it. I can't complain, though. I'm grateful to be getting work.

However, I wonder, what would life be like if we were always able to make a living doing what we loved? Would we stop loving what we thought we loved? Would what we once loved become less wonderful?

Nowadays, I count down the minutes until I'm allowed to devote diction to creativity - even if it's just for one hour a day. I look forward to that hour - the hour when I can immerse myself into an imaginary world. But what will happen when I have to while away the day, every day immersing myself into an imaginary world? Will I wish this wonderful thing to end, so that I can return to reality?

I hope not. I hope I will always love to do what I love, even if it does become what I do for a living, and that it'll never dwindle down to duty. I vote for making a living doing what I love. Let's hope my love for it will let it remain real; a reality of the imaginary world I wish to live in.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    Now that I'm doing something that I really love I can only say that everyday I love it even more. I feel that I'm following my destiny and I mature through it.
    Kisses
    Natalia (ex-colleague)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalia! Nice to know :) Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it would--er WILL be wonderful to eventually make a living doing what we love. I'm just sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Holly. I'm praying that if it were to eventually happen, that I will never groan at my desk again!

    ReplyDelete

“I'm using my art to comment on what I see. You don't have to agree with it.” ~John Mellencamp

“Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a wonderful social grace” ~Judith S. Marin

“I don't ever try to make a serious social comment.” ~Paul McCartney

“I'd make a comment at a meeting and nobody would even acknowledge me. Then some man would say the same thing and they'd all nod.” ~Charlotte Bunch

“Probably what my comment meant was that I don't care about the circumstances if I can tell the truth.” ~Sally Kirkland

“We're not going to pay attention to the silliness and the petty comments. And quite frankly, women have joined me in this effort, and so it's not about appearances. It's about effectiveness.” ~Katherine Harris